Thursday, April 7, 2011

Flights and Arrival

So my last week or so in Toronto was pretty hectic to say the least.  Whether it was hanging out with friends, or helping mom get the house ready for sale, I had plenty of stuff to keep me busy.  I couldn't have asked for a better last week in TO.  Whether it was getting together for a pint in the evening with close friends, going to the Jays game with Linds and a quick pint afterwards with Pat, it was just what I needed.

Departure day you could imagine was quite hectic.  Did I have everything packed?  What am I still missing?  Can I fit anything more into my bag?  Is my flight still on time?

Mom, the Boy and I went out for a quick bite to eat before heading off to the airport.  The was the thing I was not looking forward to at all.  Saying by to grandma.  I'm super close with her, and since she doesn't use the internet and hates it when I call her ("why are you wasting your time calling me?  Just send me a post card once a month to let me know you're alive"), so staying in touch with her will be difficult.

So Ema drove me to the airport where she started crying again probably for the fourth time that day.  The last thing she said to me before walking into the terminal was "You know, whatever good qualities you have, I'd like to think I had something to do with them."  And me true to form replied, "That's true, but whatever is screwed up with me is probably your fault as well!"

So I get into the airport and check in.  I had the good fortune that a buddy of mine Mike Auksi was on the same flight as well.  He's over here living out his dream as well.  He's over here hoping to play for the National Estonian hockey team.  He may not qualify to play in the world championships, but at the very least he'll make great contacts as far as coaching and training go.  Really hope it works out for him.

The flight from Toronto to Warsaw was alright.  It seems that on any trans-Atlantic flight I have I'm surrounded by atleast one or two crying babies.  And let me tell you, one of these babies had a set of lungs!  Just wailing away for the first hour of the flight.  Mike and I also had the pleasure of setting next to this cute 6 year old girl who kept asking us questions.  When Mike asked us what we would add to an airplane to make flying more fun, I said a swimming pool, Mike said a skating rink, and this little six year old said a SMOKING SECTION!  Sorry kiddo, I think those days are long gone.  The flight from Warsaw to Tallinn I think Mike and I were pretty well comatose for that flight.

We arrived in Tallinn to a beautiful Estonian spring.  About 4 C, rainy and every shade of grey you could imagine.  I'M HOME!!  My Onu Mati picked me up at the airport, we helped Mike get in touch with the Estonian Ice Hockey Federation and we parted ways.  Mike had another 2hr bus trip down to Tartu for his first practice at 8pm.  How he got through that practice I will never know.

I got to Onu Mati's place, had a couple beers, a few heats in the saun, a great dinner, then passed right out for a couple hours.  Woke up again at 9pm because ManU was playing Chelsea in the Champions League.  A solid 1-0 win for ManU then it was back to bed.  A solid 13hrs sleep pretty well got me over the jetlag.

Today I've been busy doing errands.  Opened up a bank account, and off to look at cars this afternoon with Onu Mati.  Tomorrow I'm hoping to get my hands on an apartment which I've had my eyes on for a few days now.  Nice two room apartment just east of downtown, with a nice rooftop patio in a quiet neighbourhood.  Keep your fingers crossed.

That's pretty much all for now.  I'm going try and update this blog regularly, but as I get into work and the day to day grind, odds are posts will slowly start to dwindle.  Anyhoo, hope all is well.

ps.  I checked TSN.ca today to find out that the Leafs had been eliminated from the playoffs.  I guess that .3% chance of making the playoffs weren't enough to get us in.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Paul. Glad you made it. Spanky wants to visit and leave his mark on Estonia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul... great start to the blog... I'll be putting a link to yours on mine (would appreciate same! ;) )... and I'm your first follower so far! All the best for achieving the Estonian Dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rooftop patio? Niiice! I hope you get it too, then we can come visit (and in return we'll let you come over to use our saun).

    ReplyDelete