Sunday, April 24, 2011

Long Walks and Beautiful Weather

So on Monday I went and picked up my car from the dealership.  She'd been nicely cleaned up, and all set for my pick-up.  Signed some paper work, looked a few things over, handed over a wad of cash and off I went.  I was actually really surprised how easy it is to buy a car here.  When I went to the ARK office (Ministry of Transportation) to officially sign the car over to my name it went incredibly easily.  Took less than ten minutes, and strangely enough nobody asked to see my driver's licence once.  I've gone for a couple drives so far, but nothing too long.  Really haven't had the need to.  Just about everything from my apartment is within walking distance.  I have to admit though, that I do laugh just about every time I look at my car.  Sure, it's 18 years old, but what business do I have owning a BMW?!

Anyways, the weather this past week has been fantastic so most days I'll go for a walk about town or through Kadriorg for an hour or two.  Tuesday evening I went to my mom's relatives place for dinner out in Merivälja.  These were the relatives that I stayed with the majority of my time here two years ago and it was great seeing them again.  We had a great meal, sat around chatting for a couple hours, and got to see my little cousin Oliver again.  And let me tell you, that kid has grown up quite a bit.  After that I dropped the car off at home and swung by the Vironia maja for a few drinks and to see some of the guys I hadn't yet seen.  T'was an enjoyable, although slightly late evening.

On Wednesday I met up with my good friend Tuuli for lunch who was in Tallinn visiting her parents from Brussels.  Hadn't seen her in nearly two years and it was great getting to sit down and chat with her over lunch.  We went to a fantastic restaurant at the top of the Solaris plaza.  Not a place I'm going to go on a regular basis because the prices are a little on the steep side, but the food and the view was unbelievable.

Thursday was spent doing some stuff around apartment (believe it or not Ema, I'm actually able to keep the place quite clean), and then met up with Hillar Lauri for lunch.  We went to a fantastic, new restaurant in Kalamaja called F-Hoone.  Amazing food, and REALLY cool restaurant.  If I didn't know any better I would have thought I was eating somewhere in the Distillery District.  Hillar's been a great source of information for me here with regards of where to look for certain things to buy, concerts to go to, and various other things.  In the evening I met up with Tuuli and one of her friends Priit for dinner.  We ended up going to a lovely restaurant called F-Hoone.....Wait, I'd already eaten there that day.  No matter, I took a seat one over from the one I ate lunch at, and the waitress hardly batted an eyelash when she saw me again.  After dinner we went to Priit's place for a few drinks then shut'er down sometime just before 2am.

Friday back at home I'm sure the family did the usual church and big family get-together, but haven't heard much about that.  Still waiting to hear who ruined Easter guys.  Really hoping someone stepped up to the plate.  I didn't really do all that much during the day, and in the evening we went to a friend's place for drinks before going out on the town.  The one thing I'm still adjusting to is here people don't go until well after mid-night.  Back in Canada if you're going to a bar or club, normally you'll head there for 11pm or so because they have to shut their doors sometime after 2am.  Well we left Martin's place sometime after midnight, went to a bar for a few hours, then headed to a club around 3am.  I made my way in to the club only to remember that I'm not a club-goer.  Just not a fan of the music, too crowded, and the fact that I'm not much of a dancer doesn't help.....or maybe I'm just getting old.  I stuck around for maybe 20-30mins then decided it'd be best I hit the road.

Woke up on Saturday morning with a tiny bit of a headache so I watched a movie, went for a short walk and got ready for the evening.  I had been invited to Tuuli's place for the first BBQ of the season.  For a little while I thought about driving over to her place, but the weather was just too nice not to have a couple of drinks in the sun.  Sat down with her family for a great meal, and fantastic conversation.  Her grandfather has to be one of the funniest guys I've ever met.  80 years young, and sharp as anything.  Just a wicked sense of humour and had the table in stitches for the entire evening.

Today I had a nice leisurely morning (those are really the only kinds I've had thus far) and in the afternoon I drove over to Onu Mati's place to drop some stuff off, and pick up a few other various things I needed for the apartment.  And as luck would have it, I showed up in time for lunch!  Ate with Onu Mati and Tädi Eha, and since it was such a nice day, Onu Mati and I drove out to the golf course just so I could get a feel for the drive out there before I go meet up with my bosses on Tuesday.  From my place I'm guessing the drive will take 20-30mins.  Unfortunately the Peterburi mnt right now is under construction, but once that gets cleared up I'll be flying to work in no time.

Spent maybe 10-15mins walking around the grounds, and took a look inside the clubhouse.  And let me tell you what, I cannot WAIT to start working.  It is an absolutely GORGEOUS piece of property!!  The course still seems to be in pretty rough shape, but in a couple weeks things should start looking better.  I'll borrow a friends camera at some point and try to post some pictures sometime soon.

Don't really have too much planned for the next couple of days.  Probably go out for a coffee with Tuuli tomorrow before she heads off to Brussels again, Tuesday I'm driving back out to the golf course to meet up with my bosses and sign my contract, then on Wednesday the first folks from Canada and Sweden are showing up for Volber.....Ok, maybe I do have quite a bit planned for the next couple of days.  Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces, and then heading down to Tartu for the weekend.

Hope you're all well.

No comments:

Post a Comment